Your new family member is waiting for you!
We are continuing to rescue and adopt pets, though we have made significant changes to our adoption process. Until further notice, 99% of the adoption process is completed “virtually”. Home visits, initial meet and greets, contract signings, and monetary exchanges are ALL “no-contact”. The only time an adopter will come to our facility and physically meet the pet they are interested in adopting is the date of adoption as scheduled with their Adoption Coordinator. We are not making ANY exceptions to our current process and encourage all who require a more elaborate physical engagement with a potential pet to postpone adoption from us until such time it has been deemed safe to lift social distancing protocols by the CDC and Governor Murphy.
We encourage anyone considering adoption to complete an online application. Once you become a “Pre-Approved Adopter” you will be eligible to adopt any of the dogs/cats available in the rescue for up to 6 months. There is no obligation to adopt if pre-approved or up front cost to apply. Pre-approved adopters receive notification when new transports arrive and Adoption Coordinators do their best to provide specific pet information that match your preferences/living situation and are given the first opportunity (within reason) to adopt new arrivals prior to the general public.
The online application process is as simple as this:
- Takes 5 minutes of your time to complete the online application.
- The Adoption Team will check veterinary, landlord and personal references.
- Coordinate with the Adoption Team to complete a Home Inspection and Meet & Greet with your entire family to discuss what type of pet would best suit your lifestyle.
- *Pick your new family member
- *Sign the Adoption Contract
Our adoption fees vary depending on the species and age of available pets:
- Kittens through 6 months of age $150 for 1, $200 for 2 kittens adopted at the same time
- Cats between 7 months through 6 years of age $100
- Senior Cats 7 years or older $65
- *All kittens under 8 weeks will remain in foster care. A $50 “Promise to Alter” deposit is required on felines adopted prior to being spayed/neutered which will be refunded upon certification of alter. AFO will pay for the cost of alter when it is performed at the Spay and Neuter Clinic of NJ in Holmdel, NJ. If alter is performed at any other clinic or vet, adopter is responsible for 100% of the cost of the surgery.
- Puppies through 6 months of age $400
- Dogs between 7 months through 6 years of age $300
- Senior Dogs 7 years or older $250
- *All puppies under 8 weeks will remain in foster care. A $100 “Promise to Alter” deposit is required on canines adopted prior to being spayed/neutered which will be refunded upon certification of alter.
All of our pets receive age appropriate preventive veterinary care to include:
- Adoption Kit (Contract, Records, etc)
- Microchipping & Registration
- Spaying/Neutering for adult pets(7 months and older)
- State sponsored spay/neuter eligibility for young pets (6 months and younger)
- Vaccinations to include: Distemper and Rabies
- Feline FIV/FELV testing for Cats
- Heartworm testing for dogs
- Deworming medications for intestinal parasites
- Ear Cleaning & Nail Clipping
- Flea & Tick treatment
Can't Adopt? FOSTER!
Foster care allows dogs/cats to live in a home environment while awaiting permanent placement. A home environment is essential (less stress) for pets who are pregnant, nursing or still too young to be adopted. Apply below to learn more!